FDDI is implementing the PLSDP through establishment of Training centers at Agra, Kanpur, Bareilly, Delhi/NCR, Kolkata, Ranipet, Maharastra, Bihar, Chandigarh & various on-site location at the factory premises, where unemployed youths belonging from the economically weaker section of the society are being selected, trained and provided assistance to get employment in the footwear industry at the shop floor level operations.
FDDI has already provided trained, manpower to renowned footwear companies such as M/s. Prime Shoes Chennai, M/s. N. M. Zackriah & Company, Ambur, M/s. Dawar Shoes Agra, M/S. Arvind Footwear Kanpur, M/s. Rohit Surftrants Kanpur, M/s. Tej Shoes Agra, M/s. SSIPL Ltd., Sonepat, M/s. Super House, Unnao, M/s. Florence Shoes Co. Pvt. Ltd., Ambur, M/s. Leeyan Overseas, Kanpur, M/s. Tata International, Dewas, M/s. Zermatt Shoes, Ambur, M/s. Sarup Tanneries Ltd., Unnao, M/s. Tej Shoes Agra, M/S. Zeta Shoes, Rewari, Haryana, M/s. Good Leather Shoes, M/s. Oscar Leather Mohali, etc. The requirement to train the workers from other companies is also coming.
Scope Of The Training
The scope of the training program has been improved in quality and the increase in productivity with use of modern techniques, tool standardization, designs and methods. The areas of specialization of the training were mainly Cutting, Closing, Lasting and Finishing
The course curriculum of this training is as follows:
Cutting- Tin Pattern Making, Hand Cutting, Machine Cutting, Leather Inspection, Quality region of Hide and Side leather, Part of shoe, how to cut leather with quality- leather manipulation.
Closing- Types of Needles, Threads, Relation between thread and needle, Different types of stitching machines, Different types of stitching operations (seams), Upper making & minor machine maintenance.
Training Material(S) Provided
Relevant information in the form of booklet, use of machineries & Printed Manuals (the art of self learning) of FDDI, facilities of training center etc. were provided during the training program to the trainees.
The distribution of the knowledge was through the demonstration, organization of the group-based learning & through the visual presentation of the correct methods.
Objective Of The Skill Development Programme
The program has been formulated keeping in view the following major objectives:
- Imparting basic skills on shop floor operations to unemployed youth through a demand driven Skill-Development Program.
- Creation of adequate trained manpower to cope up with the requirement of Footwear/Leather industry.
- Spread and sustain a technology and per person productivity culture in the Indian leather sector.
Trade In Which The Skills Are Proposed To Be Imparted
- Basic Clicking Operator Course
- Basic Stitching Operator Course
The details of the courses are given as under:
||No. of seats/batch
||Basic Cutting Operator Course
||18 years and have an ability to read and write
||Basic Closing Operator Course
||18 years and have an ability to read and write
Based on the need more Industry specific courses in the area of Lasting, Finishing, Costing, Quality checking, Leather grading & Sorting, Repairing, Multi-skilling etc. will be provided as on-site services to the industry.
Following parameters will applicable in order to take the benefit of the program by the candidate:
- The candidate shall have attended the age of 18yrs. at the time of joining the program having sound mind.
- The candidate should have reading &writing capability, & aptitude for the training.
- The candidate shall be unemployed at the time of joining the programme.
- The participating industry can also select their own candidate meeting the above-mentioned criterion in consultation with the selection board. However under such condition the candidate after successful completion of the training has to join the sponsoring organization & will not be eligible for the open placement.
Selection Of The Trainees
Selection of the trainees will be done through a screening committee, especially designed for the purpose and having the following members:
- Center In charge of the respective training center
- Representative of the local district administration.
- Representative of the local industry
- Representative from Department for Industrial Policy and Promotion, GoI
The assessment of the participant will be based upon the following:
- The participant shall maintain a minimum attendance of 85% percent during the program.
- Successful completion of the all units designed in the program.
- The minimum level of grade shall be 60% in all the units for qualification.
Certification And Placement Of The Trainees
- Upon the successful completion of the training program the candidate will be awarded with the certificate of achievement.
- The details of the successful trainees will also be displayed at the website www.fddiindia.com, along with their individual details.
- Upon completion of the course the trainees will be placed in the footwear and leather industries of the vicinity, in association with the entrepreneurs industrialists of the sector.
Benefits Of The Programme
The training program prepared for the youths, to help them to acquire skill & knowledge in the shoe making process.
During the training period the youths were exposed to the training facilities at the centers as well as in the industry. Trainees were informed about the international sizing and fitting standards. The youths gained knowledge on various sizing systems; it's conversion of one system to another, optimization in cutting of leather, on designing, on finishing, and ascertaining product prices with rationalized ways of costing.
Youths were very enthusiastic about the training. Handouts contains different aspects of footwear design, needle & its parts, different types of stitching machines, different types of stitching operations, leather & its parts (quality reasons), different types of lay outs were provided to the trainees. The handouts were specially prepared in Hindi with pictorial representation.
All the successful candidates are awarded certificates of achievements upon the completion of the training program.
The overall training has resulted in:
- Improvement in the work practice.
- Use of hand cutting method with the help of tin pattern leading to the saving of material.
- Improvement in the quality of design & pattern cutting.
- Improvement in the area of lasting & finishing process.
- Knowledge enhancement about newer methods.
- Trouble shooting in the manufacturing processes.
- Employment generation
FDDI's efforts in creating fresh & unemployed youths as skilled work force through an intensive training programme has been a great success and applauded at various forums as the most innovative and effective approach of implementation of any of the scheme carried out so far.
Venue Of The Training
The training will be provided through established training centers being set-up by FDDI in the major footwear and leather clusters of Kanpur & Agra in the initial phase. Apart from it, on site training will be provided for those industries that select their own trainees for general and specific training purposes.